viernes, 31 de marzo de 2017

Who, whose, whom, that or which?

(APUNTES)
These words are called relative pronouns.  

RELATIVE pronouns do two jobs at once:

a)  acting as someone (subject) or something (object) that is doing something (verb). 
b)  joining two parts of a sentence together to make one sentence.

Who is used when referring to persons.

For example: The lady who lives in that house is French. The man who conducted the experiment is a scientist. The one who gets there last is the loser.


Whose is also used when referring to persons.

For example: Whose coat is this? I spoke to a man whose name was Fred. The woman, whose job it was, took my name and details.


Whom is used if you mean him, her or them (but not he, she or they – for which you use who).                                    

For example: This is the man to whom the dog belongs (the dog belongs to him).

Jean resembles her mother, from whom she gets her good looks (she gets her looks from her).

David is a rude boy whom I dislike (I dislike him).

The people to whom I refer are sitting over there (I am referring to them).

 Which is used when referring to animals or objects.

For example: We learnt about the camel, which is sometimes called ‘the ship of the desert’. (animal) I wore the ring, which my mother gave me, to the dance. (object)


That is used when referring to animals or objects and can also be used when referring to persons.

For example: The convict that escaped has been recaptured. (person) The dog that bit the girl was tied up. (animal) I cannot find the book that you gave me. (object)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Entrada destacada

Doble Grado de Enfermería + Fisioterapia

O outro día mentres navegaba por Internet, atopei que existe una carreira que ofrece o Duplo Grado de Enfermaría e mais fisioterapia en El...